Comments and Responses in Spike Lee Versus ‘Django Unchained’ Controversy

I have just search the term ‘Django’on Twitter search bar. The 90% of the tweets is contained with positive reviews, meanwhile the other 10% is contained with jokes over Spike Lee controversy.

Leonardo Dicaprio and Jamie Foxx in ‘Django Unchained’

Doing my regular research, I remember reading or watching a TV special about a feud between Spike Lee and Spike TV for the use of the word “Spike”. Lee claimed that the network shouldn’t use his nickname because of his fame, people will relate him to the tv channel. But digging in Spike Lee controversy report I found 10 stories that began with an instigator comment.

Spike Lee versus American Government, Spike Lee versus Universal Studios, Spike Lee versus Clint Eastwood, Spike Lee versus Spike Tv, among others. The latest is the feud between Spike Lee and Quentin Tarantino for the movie ‘Django Unchained‘.

Through his twitter account, Spike Lee expressed “All I’m going to say is that it’s disrespectful to my ancestors to see that film. That’s the only thing I’m gonna say“. Apparently the director has a problem with the plot of Tarantino ‘Django Unchained’, a black slave named Django portrayed by Jamie Foxx who with the help of Christoph Waltz will save Django’s wife from the hands of the bad guy, Leonardo Dicaprio.

‘Training Day’ Director Antoine Fuqua.

 

Lee has also presented the issue he has with Tarantino’s hobby of overusing the ‘N-word‘ in his movies. The complaint was originally declared in 1997 with the film ‘Jackie Brown’.

On the other hand, part of ‘Django Unchained’ cast has expressed themselves on behalf of the film and their production.

Quentin is making entertainment. Hopefully, it makes you go ask questions and you Google it. If you want to learn something from a movie, go watch a documentary.Django leading actor and Academy Award Winner Jamie Foxx told Los Angeles Times during an interview.

Antoine Fuqua, best known for being the director of ‘Training Day‘ the film who made Denzel Washington achieve an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, has stepped out to defend ‘Django Unchained’ director. “That’s just not the way you do things,” Fuqua told  The Hollywood Reporter at the Capri’s Hollywood Film Festival. “I don’t think Quentin Tarantino has a racist bone in his body. We’re supposed to find some truth in films and if you set a film in the 1850s, you’re going to hear the word ‘nigger,’ because that’s the way they spoke then, and you’re going to discuss slavery because that was part of the reality.

 

Alfredo Viteri is a 24 years old IIG. He thinks he’s an Editor, a Web Designer, an Author, a Comedian, an Actor, an Executive Producer, a Critic, a Host. Now he is writing about showbiz, Hollywood, music and beyond. Don’t know why I’m writing in third person if I’m the one writing it.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube 

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


9 × three =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>